- Microsoft licensing is complicated. Often, the same software can be licensed a number of ways. It’s difficult to know which edition and licensing model is best.
- Licensing and features often change with the release of new software versions, compounding the problem by making it difficult to stay current.
- In tough economic times, IT is asked to reduce capital and operating expenses wherever possible. As one of the top five expense items in most enterprise software budgets, Microsoft licensing is a primary target for cost reduction.
- Focus on needs first. Conduct a thorough needs assessment and document the results. Well-documented needs will be your best asset in navigating Microsoft licensing and negotiating your agreement.
- Establish licensing surpluses and deficits early on. You may already have enough licensing for your new projects or you may have a substantial shortfall that needs to be addressed. Fill in existing gaps before adding new licenses.
- Assign a dedicated license and software administrator. With someone to keep tabs on the licensing, review and purchase planning become easier, reducing time and money spent on requirements gathering and budgeting.
Impact and Result
- Adopt a cyclical approach to reviewing Microsoft licensing. Actively manage licensing to ease the process of defining your requirements.
- Create a reference document to track your software needs, planned licensing, and purchase negotiation points.
- Define business requirements and actively manage licenses.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.
- $ Saved = $129,000
- Days Saved = 5
- Testimonial : Great experience, as always, with Scott. He has a wealth of software licensing knowledge!
City of Woodbury
- $ Saved = $4,312
- Days Saved = 30
- Testimonial : Both conversations with Aadil have been eye opening. I really feel like that I have an advocate for me who can help me to navigate the complex world of Microsoft licensing.
- $ Saved = $258,000
- Days Saved = 15
- Testimonial : Very knowledgeable analysts with good insight into opportunities for reducing Microsoft costs.
Triton Management Services
- $ Saved = $14,632
- Days Saved = 2
- Testimonial : The experience was very professional and to the point. My questions were answered and I actually gained some info that I did not have before.
Canadian Payments Association
- $ Saved = $20,000
- Days Saved = 5
- Testimonial : Insight into Microsoft licenses was very helpful.